||Christ Church, Episcopal
Bronxville, New York
Christ Church is an especially fine example of architect Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, completed in 1926 after his death in 1924. The organ began life as a Hall, was twice rebuilt by Aeolian-Skinner in 1949 and 1955, and again by Gress-Miles in 1962. In the 1950s and ’60s the organ was made famous through broadcast and recording, particularly one of the early King of Instruments recordings for Aeolian-Skinner in 1955 by Dr. Robert Owen, organist of the church for more than forty years.
Survey work here involved the usual organ evaluation, coupled to additional factors occasioned by an adjacent construction project and a growing music program. The Director of Music is Christopher Wells. In 2007 the Church contracted with Casavant Frères, Ltée to build a new organ, to be completed in 2009.