Antiphonal case by Cram & Ferguson, 1930
|Saint Pauls School
Concord, New Hampshire
One of New Englands oldest private secondary schools, Saint Pauls contains many distinguished examples of regional architecture, including the 1856 Old Chapel, Henry Vaughans New Chapel of 1885 (enlarged and embellished by Cram & Ferguson in 1927-28), several handsome designs of James Gamble Rodgers, and most recently Robert A.M. Sterns superb Ohrstrom Library completed in 1989.
The New Chapel was originally fitted with a three-manual Geo. S. Hutchings organ with pneumatic assist applied to the Great. A new Skinner organ arrived in 1930, rebuilt by Aeolian-Skinner in 1953 and again by Robert Leslie & Assoc. from 1993 to 1997, with a console and electronic voices by Copeman-Hart.
Recent chapel renovations led to the removal of exposed organ components. Consultation here initially involved waking up the instrument after building renovation in 2003, eventually leading to a comprehensive survey and report to assist with future planning, and oversight of further restoration by Spencer Organ Company of Boston. The Chapel musician is Dr. Linda Morgan Stowe.