organ case design in process, 8/05
|Saint Davids Radnor Episcopal Church
This parish occupies two church buildings, the first dating from 1715 and seating about 100, the second from 1956 with a capacity slightly more than 300. With a membership of 2700, the parish decided to build a new sanctuary seating close to 600, converting the 1956 worship space into a parish hall. The project drew together architects Atkin Olshin Lawson-Bell, acoustician Dana Kirkegaard and builders W.S. Cumby & Son.
Retained in the fall of 2002, Jonathan Ambrosino was engaged even before the architect had been selected, to help program the space for a pipe organ and educate the building team. After discernment and research, the church’s organ committee contracted with Dobson Pipe Organ Builders for a three-manual, 42-stop mechanical-action instrument. The new Chapel was completed in 2006; the organ was finished in the summer of 2007 and dedicated that fall in an inaugural recital by David Higgs. Clair Rozier and Robert Gallagher are the parish musicians; Dr. Joseph Bonn chaired the Organ Committee.